Leadership is a talent and as well a learned behavior. People natural tendency is to look for leaders as role models that they can follow.
In business, achieving goals requires leadership as the capability to influence others, and make them seeing, hearing and feeling what they would not be capable of on their own.
Business Knowledge Inc. praises both those who are talented at leading, and as well those who are to learn about. Continuous improvement is the premise of progress and we have the capabilities to support further leadership skills development of our customers.
Leadership means communicating, negotiating, and motivating groups of people or organizations for achieving specific objectives.
Leaders should establish a clear vision, and share that vision. The organization is to follow the vision as the leader provides the information, knowledge, and methods to realize the vision. Leadership is about as well coordinating and balancing the conflicting interests among members’ organization or stakeholders.
A good leader must have competency, character, and should be able to adapt to any situation requiring leadership.
When crisis occur, the leader should demonstrate outstanding abilities to think and act efficiently.
Leadership effectiveness can be measured through how the leader attracts, retains and engages followers. The sense of purpose should be obvious for followers and should be easily convertible in value for stakeholders. The leader needs to be ethical as well, by recognizing and abiding to legal and moral principles. The leader should have the capability to satisfy expectations of both followers and stakeholders such that everyone has the perception of feeling good about actions taken on the desired direction.
When thinking about leading several principles stand out:
- Learn about yourself and others to be able to cross-reference received inputs and convey the right message.
- Put the effort in to know yourself when it comes to leadership style assessment and evaluate your teams to understand and use the knowledge for achieving goals.
- Effectiveness is key for a leader as he or she has limited time and resources,
- Leadership should be measured for performance, and appraisal, direction and coaching should be in place;
- Next generation of leaders should be identified early, chosen individuals should be promoted and mentored;
- Leaders should get commitment through motivating others;
- Leaders personal development should be a continuous activity, such that individuals strike the right balance between personal and business objectives; right balance;
- Fundamental characteristics of leadership: competency, character and situational awareness should be cultivated and ingrained in leaders behaviours